It is our pleasure to provide more information on the newly elected Minister of Transport!
Minister Joel Sibusiso Ndebele
Date of Birth: 17 October 1948
- Premier of KwaZulu-Natal Province since 22 April 2004.
- Serves in the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress (ANC) since 1997.
- Primary school at Makhaseneni near Melmoth.
- Secondary school at Entembeni Secondary School and matriculated from Eshowe Teachers’ Training and High School (1968).
- Studied Library Science at the University of Zululand (1970 – 1972).
- Bachelor of Arts degree in International Politics and African Politics from University of South Africa (1982 – 1983)
- Bachelor of Arts honours degree with distinction in Development Administration and Politics (1985)
- Chairperson of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal Province (1998 – 2008).
- Deputy Chairperson in KwaZulu-Natal (1996 – 1998).
- Member of the KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Executive Committee and the Provincial Working Committee of the ANC (1994 – 2008).
- Was actively involved in the University Christian Movement and later with the South African Students Organisation (SASO).
- Worked at the archives at a Lutheran Church Centre at Maphumulo.
- Appointed Publicity Secretary of SASO for the University of Zululand (1972).
- Worked as an Assistant Librarian at the University of the North (1973 – 1974).
- Joined the African National Congress (ANC) under ground and went into exile in Swaziland (1974 – 1976).
- Worked as Assistant Librarian at University of Swaziland, (1974 – 1976).
- Was arrested for ANC activities in May 1976 and was sentenced to ten years on Robben Island in June 1977.
- Research fellow at University of Natal’s Department of Town and Regional Planning.
- Regional Secretary of the ANC for Southern Natal (1990 – 1996).
- Director (Office of Residence Administration) – University of the Durban – Westville (1991 – 1994).
- Member of the National Executive Committee of the ANC (1997).
- Served in the Education Development Trust along with Dr IF Matsepe-Casaburri (1980 – 1994).
- MEC for Transport for the united province of KwaZulu-Natal (1994).
- Founder and Chairperson of the African Renaissance Trust based in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Played a key role in peace iniatiative in Kwazulu-Natal since 1987.
- An award by COMTO for continous support of African Renaissance at the Transportation African-Renaissance Transportation (2000).
- Honorary Doctorate from the University of Zululand in 2005.
The Development Team of the Arrive Alive road safety website and this Blog would like to congratulate Minister Ndebele and wish him the very best!!